Work with the latest trends in home furnishings on a global stage. It’s an exciting time to join our Merchandising team, whether you’re just starting your career or looking to take your skills to the next level.
Senior Director Merchandising
The Senior Director, Merchandising is responsible and accountable for establishing and driving execution of business priorities through the facilitation of product development inclusive of the collection, coordination, collation, management, and utilization of a category product development input process for multiple product categories for the company. This position will work with Merchandising leadership to formulate and guide the category development strategy for assigned product categories. Additionally, the Senior Director, Merchandising is responsible for working with a variety of internal and external teams and senior executives utilizing a data input-based process in developing the category product development strategy. The role of the Senior Director, Merchandising is to drive Ashley to meet its strategic goals to ensure Ashley continues to grow and thrive.
The Senior Director, Merchandising is responsible and accountable for creating alignment and accountability within Ashley working across each channel of distribution through the product development process to identify and create the business case for the specific product development needs. The business case will be a component of the category product development strategy to be presented to the executive steering group for approval and implementation. The Senior Director must establish clear goals that align with the organization’s vision and follow through with the necessary actions while ensuring synergies exist between people, processes, and strategies to drive flawless execution of business objectives and strategy.
The Senior Director is responsible and accountable for fostering a customer focused culture where their team members are engaged. This position is expected to create a work environment in which employees become compelled to commit to their organization and its bottom line and feel pride and job ownership
- Create alignment and accountability by committing to a long-term strategy for increasing alignment and by analyzing information, evaluating options, and selecting the best strategy that suits Ashley’s needs.
- Responsible to align communication, people, culture, and processes to drive flawless execution of business objectives based on Ashley’s vision.
- Delegate decision-making authority and task responsibilities to ensure flawless execution of business strategies.
- Make customer relationships and satisfaction the primary driving force when designing products and processes.
- Use insight into market drivers to execute a competitive strategy that will create new business opportunities to make Ashley the best furniture company.
- Manage and oversee the collection, coordination, consolidation, analysis and utilization of a “data decision” based input process to facilitate the creation of a product development business strategy for the assigned product merchandise category within the framework of a focus for “design & develop with intent”.
- Work with the Merchandising leadership to develop, present and review their category product development strategy with the executive steering group.
- Manage and oversee the utilization and maintenance of the product lifecycle analysis for the assigned product category.
- Develop and present well-researched product development plans to the executive group and merchandising leadership.
- Prepare and present month-end overview of current activities, plus initiatives for future activities and product development.
- Prepare and present regular brief updates on current activities and future plans and projects.
- Conduct regular review of competitor and fashion industry websites and marketing providing analyst to executive management.
- Ensure the timely completion and execution of team and own projects.
- Attend furniture markets to actively participate in market product introductions, actively contribute to the market launch strategy, and actively contribute in the “go” process.
- Provide support to the channels of distribution leadership through active participation in marketing to support product development, regularly attending product forecasting meetings and training efforts.
- Make employment decisions and/or recommendations on hiring, improvement plans, transfers, promotions, corrective actions, terminations, pay adjustments, etc.
- Coordinate and manage the work of employees by directing members of the team to meet the area’s goals. Audit regularly to ensure standard operating procedures are being adhered to.
- Manage employee performance and assist employees in making improvements to their performance through coaching, mentoring, and administering performance reviews. May recommend, plan and/or implement employee training and skill development activities.
- Audit, maintain and ensure employee time-keeping and absentee records are accurate.
- Communicate company and departmental issues and goals and facilitate employee growth and development through weekly team meetings, regular individual employee meetings, coaching, training, and company-offered learning opportunities.
- May manage resources to optimize equipment, facilities, employees, methods and materials.
- Demonstrate the Company’s Core and Growth Values in the performance of all job functions.
What Do You Need?
- 12.5 years’ experience in purchasing, buying, merchandising, brand management, marketing, or related field, Required
- Supervisory/Management experience, Required
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Merchandising, Public Relations or Retail, or equivalent work experience, Required
- Strong product sensibility and ability to merchandise in a visually appealing way
- Strong business sensibility to identify and capitalize on current trends and incorporate them into short- and long-term merchandising plans
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong sense of brand and customer experience
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Document management system
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Maintain confidentiality
- Working knowledge of Continuous Improvement
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously within established time constraints
- Proficient computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite, internet
- Strong skills in agility, along with the ability to pivot easily when directions and priorities changes on short notice
- Perform under strong demands in a fast-paced environment
- Work professionally with customers and co-workers to efficiently serve our customers, treating both with enthusiasm and respect
- Display empathy, understanding and patience with employees and external customers
- Respond professionally in situations with difficult employee/vendor/customer issues or inquiries
Who Are We?
- We offer competitive pay and excellent benefits.
- We are a multi-billion dollar company and the largest manufacturer of furniture in the world, and offer one of the industry’s broadest product assortments at over 20,000 storefronts in 123 countries.
- Growth-Focused is one of our core values, and we are dedicated to helping you grow with us through training, mentoring, and coaching as well as investing in the latest design tools, production equipment and new technologies.
- Environmental efforts are a priority as we continually seek to recycle, reuse, and replenish every day.
- Millions of dollars are contributed annually to local and national charities as we seek to improve the lives of people around the world.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and provide a drug-free working environment. While Ashley appreciates the interest of all candidates only those meeting specific position requirements may be contacted. Principals Only.