The Sr. Programmer - CNC Operations will review machining processes to determine the best available method to fabricate parts, develop the most efficient programs and set-up for CNC equipment.
- Write CNC programs and create setup sheets as required for CNC equipment in all Ashley Furniture, Wanvog Furniture and Wanek Furniture facilities. Review machining processes to determine the best available method to fabricate parts with the most optimum program, set-up, and machine efficiency. Decide which parts should run on what machines for best factory flow, throughput, quality and cost. Provide dynamically nested programs as needed. Keep each facility in mind as processes may vary per facility and programs must be functional at each facility. Evaluate geometry of each part for possible improvements of functionality and cost reductions. Complete Engineering Introduction Orders (EIO’s) and Engineering Change Orders (ECO’s) in a timely manner.
- Frequently interact with CNC department employees and management. Assist with documentation and implementation of best practices, troubleshooting of program problems and/or program improvement to reduce downtime, increase productivity and lower costs. Evaluate processes, set-ups, program cycles, operator movements, wasted motion, wasted events and program efficiencies. Assist with solving problems related to paperwork error, operator error, machine error, tooling issues, safety, maintenance problems, yield, etc., and generate ideas to help with process improvements, machine improvements, factory flow, throughput, safety, ergonomics, material cost savings, machine cost savings, etc. Troubleshoot issues that arise in the production processes to determine cause, solve problems and implement improvements. Standardize processes and best practices between facilities.
- Study raw materials (buns, board, fiber, etc.) to determine the most efficient yield properties based on current product mix forecast; recommend sizes to manufacturing management and purchasing department. Work to utilize suppliers’ factory capabilities to produce the best yielding materials in their facility to meet our production needs. Provide recommendations for standardizing material between facilities. Study offal and propose and\or implement uses for offal back into the product or other uses such as packaging. Investigate material variance and location variance items to reduce variance and improve costs. Work with product design departments to standardize product designs to make the best use of our raw materials and improve product flow through the factory. Assist with testing potential new material types.
- Provide first line support for all Ashley Furniture, Wanvog Furniture and Wanek Furniture CNC Programming related departments with programming, processes, troubleshooting, training, and machine, software and hardware issues. Provide programs, set-up sheets, training, SOPs, standards and phone, email and on-site support as needed. Coordinate maintenance on software and hardware for CNC related departments.
- Create rework programs for CNC equipment. Follow through to determine root cause, then suggest and/or implement change to prevent re-occurrence.
- Collaborate with pertinent departments to produce sample parts, mock up parts, signs, special projects, building and grounds projects, maintenance parts, etc. Use sound judgment to make best use of the material and the machine to create the parts as well as defining order based on need. Keep in mind that some of these parts may need to be produced in the factory and work with appropriate personnel from design creation to end users to assure the parts can be produced utilizing factory equipment and function as needed in end use.
- Continually evaluate, learn and train team members on existing software and hardware to effectively use the software’s abilities. Assist with maintaining software and databases for corporate CNC Programming use. Assist with installing, testing and evaluating new releases of current software. Coordinate installation, implementation and training in all facilities. Contact software vendor to report any areas that are not functioning properly. Work with software companies to recommend software updates and functionality changes to best suit our company.
- Assist and with designing software and applications to be used in-house in conjunction with current software, applications and equipment. Work with the IT department to make these items functional for the administrator and end users. Complete testing, installation, training and rollout of these programs across all Ashley facilities where they are to be implemented.
- Collaborate in the design of CNC equipment. Meet with the product design staff to understand current and future manufacturing needs. Meet with the manufacturing employees and management to understand factory flow and operator needs. Research equipment to stay on top of current trends and new technology. Propose a machine design that will produce parts with high quality and low overhead based on research. Assist with a full inspection of the machine once it is built. Determine if it is built to specifications and require necessary changes to bring it up to specification. Assist as needed with the installation and setup of new machines. Assist the maintenance department in troubleshooting maintenance issues of CNC equipment. Provide CNC programs and SOP’s to make troubleshooting and preventative maintenance easier for maintenance personnel.
- Provide backup and assistance to other CNC Programmers and to the Director of CNC Programming.
- Assist in the design and development of CNC tooling. Create tooling drawings based on style and function considering design wishes and manufacturing needs. Work with the tooling manager to acquire prototype tooling. Run tests to qualify form and function. Propose changes or acceptance of tools based on evaluation.
- Maintain clean CNC programming databases through monitoring of obsolete information. Monitor and update CNC Programming information in BOM and other engineering and production maintenance databases. Utilize forecast, part usage and costing information to calculate project savings information. Manage projects from start to finish utilizing resources available.
- Research and answer suggestions submitted to the IDEA Network.
- Demonstrate the Company’s Core and Growth Values in the performance of all job functions.